Cultural Heritage in the Baltic Sea States
   
 
    Utö, built in 1753, is the site of Finland’s oldest lighthouse. The former lighthouse contains a museum relating the history of the lighthouse keepers, the pilots and soldiers who have all lived and worked on the island. Pilots continue to operate from here and the army still uses the island.

The first lighthouse in Sweden to be equipped with a lens was built at Vinga in 1840. During the 1850’s this was considered too weak and a new lighthouse was built. This was followed up with the present lighthouse in the 1880’s. There is now a working life museum demonstrating the work of the lighthouse keepers, and a museum dedicated to the songwriter Evert Taube. There is a guest harbour available for visitor’s boats and overnight accommodation for up to 20 people at Vinga.

Tungenes lighthouse station in Norway was built in 1828 and decommissioned in 1984. It is now a protected historic monument open to the public. The buildings have been restored to include a cafe, museum and an area for art and maritime exhibitions.

The Rozewie lighthouse was built in 1822 and is one of Poland’s oldest preserved monuments of navigational technology. It has an automatic light, and a GPS reference station was installed in 1994. Rozewie is open to the public and has a number of exhibitions relating to lighthouses and maritime history. The displays include the earlier lens used at Rozewie and models of the building from 1822, 1910 and 1978.
 
Utö, Finland. © Jukka Grönlund, Finnish Maritime Administration.
Vinga, Sweden. © Dan Thunman
 
 
Rozewie, Poland.
© Ewa Meksiak, Polish Maritime Museum.
Tungenes, Norway. © Kate Newland, Stavanger Maritime Museum, Norway.
 
  © Polish Maritime Museum