Cultural Heritage in the Baltic Sea States
   
 
  MARJANIEMI, FINLAND
© Juha Sarkkinen, Finnish Maritime Administration.
  LÅNGE JAN, SWEDEN
(Ölands södra udde).
© Dan Thunman.
  VILSANDI, ESTONIA
© Danckert Monrad-Krohn.
  VENTË HORN, LITHUANIA
© Kestutis Demereckas, Libra Memelensis.

Marjaniemi was completed in 1871 and is still used as a pilot station. The University of Oulu uses the former lighthouse buildings as a research and field centre. The Bothnian Bay Research Centre promotes research in biology and geoscience.

Långe Jan, (Ölands södra udde) built in 1785 was granted historic monument status in 1935. It is the most visited lighthouse in Sweden. Over 10,000 people visit the lighthouse museum and bird sanctuary every year.

Vilsandi lighthouse was built in 1809 and is situated on Estonia’s island of Saaremaa. In 1906 the lighthouse keeper began providing protection for the sea birds. In 1910 the bird sanctuary was placed under government protection. Today the area is a nature reserve providing protection for the bird, plant and animal life of the island. It receives thousands of visitors each year.


The lighthouse at Ventë Horn, Lithuania was built in 1852 and is a listed building. It is a popular tourist destination and includes a museum of zoology and an ornithology station. It is one of the oldest examples of dual use at a lighthouse in the Baltic area.

 
  © Polish Maritime Museum